Poet’s Note: “The short poem reflects how I was streamed into humanities besides honing my professional skill and expertise. I have a feeling that this will induce many budding doctors who have a talent and taste for creative writing.”
Creative writing my hobby my ultimate my forte,
Penning truthful useful beautiful my priority,
Spreading knowledge healing promoting health,
Trash hate fanaticism politics not my sortie.
Got its flavour early childhood class street ‘Shatdal’,
Watching Sir Roop Narain writing engrossed in a lonely corner,
Amrit Lal Nagar attending Shatdal with that infectious smile,
Hindi teacher Vishwanath Tandon humble pleasant like rose petal.
Awdhesh Dayal sir clad in khadi kurta dhoti topi resonant voice,
Who will not be moved such simple attire his flawless English,
Moving BHU was like catalyst opening all neurons fertile mind,
Sankatmochan Tulsighat Baba Vishwanath Mahamana’s choice.
A die cast by divine influences blessings of so many in final mould,
Literary giants Hazari Prasad Raikrishna Das Vidya Nivas Mishra,
Scientific temper sown by teachers KNU FMN contemporary SN Rao,
Source of light inside pushes to brightness of the day head high hold.
Wish this continues till last breath no matter wherever destined,
Carry the flame till soul finds another route form so ordained.
1. Shatdal (शतदल – कमल), the literary organisation in Chowk, the old Lucknow in 1950s
2. Pandit Roop Narain Pandey – the renowned Editor of Madhuri published from Lucknow. He used to live at the far end of my residence in Khetgali.
3. Amrit Lal Nagar – A famous Hindi writer who founded ‘Shatdal’.
4. KNU – Prof K N Udupa – the founder Director of IMS BHU who initiated us to research paper writing.
5. FMN – Prof F M Narielwala, who was mentor for so many students in the field of Medicine.
6. Dr S N Rao – A 1964 batch MBBS contemporary of ours who was a gifted writer and cartoonist, besides a brilliant humane doctor.
Professor Shridhar Dwivedi
MD, PhD, FAMS, FRCP (London), FIACS (Canada)
Senior Consultant Cardiologist, National Heart Institute, New Delhi
Professor of Eminence, DPSR University
Adjunct Professor, HIMSR (Jamia Hamdard, Institution of Eminence)
Founder Dean, HIMSR, Jamia Hamdard
Former HOD, UCMS and GTB Hospital, Delhi